Join my weekly Radio Show

Monday, January 18, 2010

Leadership Training and Communication

 Communication with a Purpose

What does it take to be a leader?
How do you learn leadership skills?
Can you communicate effectively and with purpose?
How does this information help an author?

I've asked quite a few questions and will attempt to answer them using my life experience as a basis. I never considered becoming older an asset until recent years. While I've earned every gray hair on my head, I take pains to have them professionally covered up on a frequent basis! So, if you can not learn about my years of experience via my hair color, how then can I share it? On a stage or with words.

What does it take to be a leader?

A leader is someone who is commendable, trustworthy, and honorable. A leader is someone you want to follow, and you have confidence that the information imparted will be accurate. Leadership takes experience, confidence and ability. It also takes an art in communicating information accurately.


How do you learn leadership skills?

You can learn leadership skills through life experiences or formal education. In college I joined many organizations and was elected to leadership positions much to my surprise. Only as an adult with some introspection have I learned that a leader is someone who is not afraid to learn and to tackle a job, any job. A leader is not afraid to learn the menial jobs, or those beneath their skill levels. I was elected because those in the organization knew I wasn't afraid to do the job, and I would do it right.

Can you communicate effectively and with purpose?

Many of us take communication for granted. I talk too much at times and give too much information. I have learned to take the time to listen and address those questions that I am asked...only. That takes skill! Not everyone wants to know the entire account or history of printing if they ask a question about publishing. No matter how exciting I think it is! Listen, and answer the question. Or explain the information as concisely, or as briefly as possible.


How does this information help an author?

Authors who have a speaking platform will find they have a ready-made outlet for selling their books. Many of us who speak professionally find the bulk of our sales result after a speaking session. Even if the topic is different from the book authored. Being a leader in your field, a "expert" or someone of knowledge, experience and expertise will help you to find an audience eager to hear what you have to say. Do you have value? Only you can answer this question, but authors of all kinds need to give value in their work, and use it when speaking from a platform.


Leaders are not all created equal.


As much as I'd love to say you too can learn to become an wonderful leader, while the skill set might be attainable, the desire, drive and talent are often innate. Many wonderful people have leadership skills but don't do well in a public setting, or in front of an audience. I do think some people are born leaders but that doesn't mean you can't learn what it takes and aspire to lead. If not in front of a live audience, you can use the Internet in the form of blogs, social media forums or the printed word to show the ways in which you can shine in your chosen profession.

The idea here is that being an author doesn't mean that you hide behind your book. You, after all are your best sales-person. You believe in your book or you wouldn't be spending the time to put it together. You will lead people into purchasing you book if you show passion and excitement for your topic. I once met a romance author who spent much of her time teaching classes and mentoring others. She told me she wrote in threes...one part was the actual writing, one part was learning and one part was giving back, in the form of education or mentoring. That is leadership. Perhaps not in the traditional sense of the word, but in a form that others would aspire to duplicate. Analyze your skills and become a leader today!


No comments:

Post a Comment